Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Creation, Fall, and Redemption of Marriage

God has been blessing Athena and I in so many ways! Recently, I was asked to co-teach a marriage SS class at our church. We had a great turnout the last 2 wks. and some active participation.

This past Sunday, the focus was on understanding marriage in the context of Creation, Fall, and Redemption/New Creation. Creation teaches us that marriage is good. The fall introduces the reality that marriage is hard. Redemption and New Creation not only restore the goodness of marriage, but they transform our marriages into an opportunity for grace to shine.

Put another way, creation teaches me that, because my wife is the image of God, she has a dignity that should inspire wonder and gratitude as I enjoy and serve her. The fall reminds me that, because my wife is a fallen sinner, she has a tendency toward sin and weakness that should make me unsurprised when she fails or hurts me, quick to extend grace, and on guard for her soul. Redemption introduces the truth that my wife is a new creation and has new spiritual life, power, and insight that should encourage hope for the future and grace in the present.

Closely related, I have been reading "Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace" by Gary and Betsy Ricucci and it rocks!

No comments: